Song That Inspired Me!


Monday, October 19, 2009

12.5 Miles and Oh the Pain!

We completed our final benchmark and our longest run until the Half Marathon this past Sunday. It is a crazy thing to run 12.5 miles. I thought I only ran 12, but than later found out it was 12.5! so I was even happier.

I was so grateful to have healthy feet because the week before I was in a little pain after my run and nervous about getting injured. I left that Saturday in tears thinking I wasn't going to be able to run the 12. But thanks to God, and Razz Energy Gel, and Eye of the Tiger, and Kid Rock, Prince, and Run DMC I completed 12.5!



It was 3 hours of running for me, but it oddly went by fast. After the first hour, I told myself two more hours to go and that felt strange, but before I knew it, it was one more hour left. The last 3 miles were tough! especially the last 1.5 miles. I kept looking down and then looking back up and felt like the end was further. I was running so slow, but told myself I had to run it in. I had started before Alex so I knew he was going to catch up to me, and I was so glad when at the last stretch he came up and said "This is the longest mile ever!" and I was so relieved because we were able to finish together. It was sweet, because I know on race day he is going to be way ahead of me and waiting for me at the finish line, so I grabbed his hand and lifted our hands up to celebrate our running accomplishment.



I really want to tell anyone reading that if you haven't ever run.. You can! I started out running for only 20 minutes and I would run for 2 minutes then walk for 1 and I was way out of breath and exhausted. I am in no ways an expert, but I am doing more than I ever thought I would and if I can do it anyone of you can, too! It just takes some time and some faith.



I am excited about the next month and the final weeks leading into the actual Half Marathon. I am praying for good health, nice weather, and lots of energy. I am going to do my best and take every moment as a blessing. Alex is now looking into running more 10Ks, half-marathons, and I just hope to be able to keep saying I ran today.

1 comment:

  1. Elida -

    Just wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and for the encouraging words! It has been a journey that I am so thankful for the past year. I started running one year ago and ran my first race (4 miler) on Thanksgiving Day last year. I cannot wait to hear how your half marathon goes. There is something so wonderful about your first race. I literally had tears in my eyes when I ran my first one. It's hard to explain but anyone that has run one can probably say the same. It's a healing process...while going through the pain. It is also such a wonderful picture of our spiritual journey and life. Getting through the tough times and the pain makes the finish worth every mile. Good luck to you. My best advice is this, run the mile that you're in. If you just focus on that mile, they take care of themselves one at a time. My next best advice is to have fun! Soak in the noises, the crowds, the signs, the stories and the moment. You'll never forget it and it's something that no one can ever take away from you. God bless your journey!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive