Song That Inspired Me!


Sunday, September 27, 2009

Time to Train My Mind

Here's some pictures of what Alex and I look like as runners! Alex is so great before our long runs. He gets our waterbottles ready, bagels toasted, Ipods charged and packed, and now makes sure we have Energy gel for our runs. It's amazing God's timing in all of this. We both said we wouldn't be doing this right now without each other! These are moments when you know it's all part of God's plan.












*********************************************************
*********************************************************
On my first day of training, the head USA Fit guy said You can train your body to do anything and your body will be prepared before your mind. I didn't quite understand what he meant, but I am figuring that out now. I feel good when I am running. I don't have as many aches and pains and I am not short of breath like I had been. I know when to take a break for water or sometimes just break because I'm at a crosswalk. BUT my mind. My mind isn't fully prepared to go the distance. Yesterday we ran 8 miles. 8 miles. For me that's 2 hours of running! That's long. I still have 5 miles to go.

It was a good run, but I doubted myself for the first 4! Everyone in the group was ahead of me and it was so dark I felt alone. This happens every week, but being last stinks! It reminded me of 8th grade when I decided to join the Track team and my coach put me in long distance running. I came in last! And there are times when I say it's okay I am running like I have never before, and then there's day when I say I am not cut out for this. It's a constant battle of my mind.

This training is making me think about all the times I have given up. All the times I have abandoned a diet, an exercise routine, or even a situation that was too tough. Most of the time I can't get over the hill. I walk the other way. This past week I didn't run at all to prepare for my run. I just didn't want to. I felt like running was just another thing I had to do on my list of to do's. And that list gets very long sometimes!

I was very surprised that I could still do the 8 miles even after taking 6 days off, but I was able to and I am ready for the week ahead, because next week is 9 miles and I don't have the time to be taking breaks.

I just wanted to share with anyone who is reading that this running thing has been HARD and I don't always have great days with it, but it is so amazing how far I have come. As I got to my last mile on Saturday, I thought OH! Yes! One More Mile!!! and I laughed at myself because that's just something I never thought I would be excited about another MILE!


One last thought....
7 more weeks of training! The Rock and Roll Half Maration is on November 15th. Alex and I are excited! and hope that anyone who can make it out to see us, does. It would be great to know that you will be there at mile 5, or mile 10, or after we cross the finish line! I can't believe I am going to do this! Check out this link for spectator information:

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11

2 comments:

  1. hi! thanks for your comment on my blog. do you listen to hillsong? they have a lot of worship songs that i listen to while running that i really enjoy. good luck in your training! can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Elida!!! Nothing worth achieving is really ever easy. Running is HARD!!! The hardest part is definitely getting your mind where it needs to be. I've struggled with the mind thing as well (everyone does-I assure you), it has made me question myself PLENTY of times! Just stay positive and stick with it, not everyday is going to be a good one just don't give up! You are almost there!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive